We are a nation and a world desperate for men and women of God to lead. Today you begin or continue that journey. As Joshua directed the people of Israel I also direct you, “Choose this day who you will serve.” As leaders in this modern world we can be tempted to follow the latest fad or chase after money, fame or power. Will you serve those idols or will you choose to serve the King of Kings and Lord of Lords?
Read Nehemiah chapter 9
The theme of chapter 9 is Repentance
If you long to be a true Spiritual Leader we must start with repentance. We are a fallen people. Yet this whole idea of confession and repenting of our sins seems to be a lost art in the modern church. One of two things happens if we are to confess in the modern church.
1) We confess and people instantly begin to use that knowledge to judge us and tear us down. Instead of getting close to us and praying for us, guiding us lovingly they do what they can to osterize us.
2) We confess and people say things like, “Ok, that is great. We are saved by grace anyway so don’t worry about it.” Yet we continue to worry about it and never get to the healing part of the repentance equation.
So instead of actually publically repenting and making things right they go on like nothing is wrong or leave the church and start over.
Therefore if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother has something against you, leave your gift there before the altar. First go and be reconciled to your brother; then come and offer your gift.…
This repentance is more than just feeling sorry for our sins. There is a process that when done will make this much more profitable.
- Apologize for what you have done without making excuses of justifying what you have done. Simply, “I was wrong when I …. Will you forgive me?”
- Determine to make changes.
- Go make things right with everyone that might have been hurt by your choice.
NOTE: Do not debate whether what you did was sin or not. If someone is hurt go make things right.
- Develop a plan to become a new person. This might include personal prayer and study and choosing some new folks to hang around with that will help you overcome your sin.
- Gather accountability around you.
Repentance is true mourning over our sins. This is a private and a public act. Take time to deeply feel your offenses. “I have sinned against God and against man.” We must confess that we were filled with hate, lust, greed. We might have been motivated by anger or fear but we chose sin. Feel the pain of your choices. Mourn over the death. Remember that sin equals death. We should mourn the death of our very soul. That is when healing can show up. That is when we can experience healing from God.
We so often forget that our sin not only hurt God and hurt someone else, but it is destroying my very soul. My sin has wounded me beyond measure and for many long days I might move along as if everything is ok, but that is a lie. I am dieing.
Repent today my brothers and sisters and then you will be ready to lead.